(05/22/20) The City of Ojai would like to remind property owners to remove all vegetation fire hazards by June 1, 2020. Notably, property owners are advised to remove weeds, stubble, brush, dry grass, dry leaves, tumble weeds, rubbish, litter or other flammable materials from their property. Poorly maintained vegetation is a natural, volatile fuel for fast- spreading wildfires.
The City of Ojai and the Fire Department do not recommend indiscriminate clearing of native chaparral and other vegetation. Well-placed and well-maintained vegetation can beautify and control erosion in residential neighborhoods.
Below are a few safety tips for brush clearance:
- Always have a water source readily available. A water extinguisher, garden hose or a few buckets of water.
- Avoid clearing brush during the peak temperatures of the day, between 11:00 am and 3:00 pm and on days when a Red Flag Alert* has been declared by the Fire Department.
- Only use properly maintained motorized equipment and have a spark arrester when required.
- Do not refuel motorized equipment while the motor is running. Use approved fuel-dispensing containers only.
- Always make sure the hot exhaust on any motorized equipment is clear of any vegetation (grasses, weeds, shrubs).
- Do not use metal blades on weed whackers/whips. Instead use nylon line or plastic blades.
- Always wear safety glasses and gloves. Hard hats and dust masks are recommended.
If you have any questions, please contact the City of Ojai at (805) 646-5581