FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
APRIL 30, 2019
James Vega, Public Information Officer, 805-646-5851, ext. 102
City of Ojai Reminds Residents to Remove All Vegetation Fire Hazards by June 1
Ojai, CA, April 30, 2019—This week, the City of Ojai mailed out letters to property owners and residents to remind them to perform annual maintenance and remove fire hazards from their property as part of the Fire District’s Fire Hazard Reduction Program (FHRP). FHRP is intended to minimize fire danger by controlling density and placement of flammable vegetation. FHRP’s help to protect property, and also provide a buffer zone for firefighters when needed. This year, the letters will also include a “Ready, Set, Go” disaster preparedness checklist.
Residents receiving these notices are reminded to perform annual maintenance and remove fire hazards by June 1, 2019. Notably, residents are advised to remove weeds, stubble, brush, dry grass, dry leaves, tumble weeds, rubbish, litter or other flammable materials from their property.
The City would like to provide safety tips for brush clearance:
- Always have a water source readily available. A water extinguisher, garden hose or a few buckets of water.
- Avoid clearing brush during the peak temperatures of the day, between 11:00 am and 3:00 pm and on days when a Red Flag Alert* has been declared by the Fire Department.
- Only use properly maintained motorized equipment and have a spark arrester when required.
- Do not refuel motorized equipment while the motor is running. Use approved fuel-dispensing containers only.
- Always make sure the hot exhaust on any motorized equipment is clear of any vegetation (grasses, weeds, shrubs).
- Do not use metal blades on weed whackers/whips. Instead use nylon line or plastic blades.
- Always wear safety glasses and gloves. Hard hats and dust masks are recommended.
If you have any questions contact the City of Ojai at (805) 646-5581.
# # #