In celebration of Arbor Day and being recognized as a 2020 Tree City USA, the City of Ojai is coordinating a tree planting event scheduled to take place at Libbey Park on Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 11:00 A.M. During the event guest speakers will share ideas on tree preservation and sustainability initiatives.
The City of Ojai has received recognition as a 2020 Tree City USA for the first time since 2009. The recognition comes after several years of renewed efforts to preserve and enhance the City’s tree canopy for current and future generations. “Ojai has always been a community that cherishes its trees and we’re thrilled to finally regain this recognition for Ojai,” said City Manager James Vega.
The Tree City USA program was created to celebrate the importance of an urban tree canopy and to improve the care of vital trees in communities. To qualify as a Tree City USA community, a City must meet standards established by the Arbor Day Foundation and the National Association of State Foresters, such as having a City tree care ordinance, and a City tree care budget that meets requirements.
To help mitigate the spread of COVID-19, the City of Ojai invites residents to join the event virtually by clicking on the following link https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3DhCB5Z1DynNC7n8qcNeDQ/live, on the date of the event.
Although we are celebrating under different circumstances this year, Arbor Day 2021 is still a day for celebration and action. Below you may find a few ideas to help celebrate this important day:
- Celebrate Arbor Day by planting a tree
- Read a book about trees. Learn to identify trees in your yard and neighborhood or consider downloading an app that helps identify species of trees.
- Take a walk around your neighborhood and appreciate the beauty of the trees as they start to bloom and get new growth.
- Save money and trees by consider switching to paperless billing.
- Choose reusable: When possible use reusable straws, cups, and to-go containers.
- Use earth-friendly cleaning products.
For additional tips, please visit https://www.arborday.org/celebrate/ways-to-celebrate.cfm
While this year may find us at home practicing social distancing to slow the spread of COVID-19, there are still many ways to celebrate and support our planet.