(6/11/2021) With high temperatures forecasted next week, the City of Ojai will open a cooling center on Tuesday, June 15 through Friday, June 18, 2021 at the Boyd Center (510 Park Road, Ojai, CA 93023).
Social distancing measures will be in place: masks are required to enter the cooling center, seats will be 6 feet apart and temperatures will be taken at the door. Masks will be provided if visitors do not have one. The Center will be open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Excessive-heat condition can become dangerous, especially for senior, children, pets, people who work outside and those with certain health conditions. Staying safe during high heat conditions is important. The City of Ojai would like to share the following tips to help stay cool and safe:
- Drink plenty of cool water! Stay hydrated.
- Wear light-colored clothing that will keep you cool. Wear sunscreen and a hat for protection.
- Check on neighbors who might be vulnerable to the heat, especially those without air conditioning.
- Never leave children or pets in a car – not even for one minute. Temperatures inside a car can quickly skyrocket.
- If you work or play outside, take frequent breaks to hydrate and cool off in the shade.
- Don’t forget the pets! Keep pets indoors if possible. If kept outside, give them plenty of water and shade to rest in.
- Symptoms of heat-related illness include dizziness, fatigue, faintness, headaches, muscle cramps, and increased thirst. If you experience these symptoms, seek medical attention.