SoCalGas will be working with a helicopter company to map any methane emissions over SoCalGas infrastructure in small areas of the City of Ojai and Unincorporated Ventura County. Pipeline safety and maintenance continues to be top priority for SoCalGas.
SoCalGas will be following all Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) rules.
This new technology allows for the detection of methane emissions from the air at a 500 feet altitude (within normal FAA flight operations regulations). SoCalGas will be utilizing a helicopter for the operation.
- The flights are expected to be Wednesday, January 12th and Thursday, January 13th weather permitting.
- The helicopter will be going back and forth in a back-and-forth “lawnmower” pattern at about 500 ft.
- Hours of operation will be from 9am to 5pm.
- Detection of methane emissions is part of SoCalGas’ SB 1371 emissions reduction program.
- These flights are part of a larger program to detect any emissions throughout the cities and unincorporated areas served by SoCalGas.
If you any questions regarding the helicopter activity, please call SoCalGas Customer Contact Center at 1-800-427-2200. Company representatives are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Please see the map of the expected flight area.