For Immediate Release: November 10, 2021
Ojai City Council Approves Moveable Tiny Home Pilot Program
The Ojai City Council approved a two-year Moveable Tiny Home Pilot Program at its October 26, 2021 City Council meeting. The two-year pilot program will allow up to ten moveable tiny home pads to be approved per calendar year, resulting in a maximum of twenty tiny homes for the two-year period. A Moveable Tiny Home is a tiny home built on frames that would be lifted or mounted onto a separately permitted foundation with connections to utility services. The City Council will review the program at the end of the two-year term, and may choose to extend the program if desired. The moveable tiny homes are considered Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU’s).
The Tiny Home Pilot Program requires:
- Tiny Homes built on frames will be lifted/mounted onto separately permitted foundations and utilities (wheels removed; or wheels hidden with appropriate deck or other mechanism to prevent movement of tiny house)
- Tiny Home structure will be separately permitted from pad permit, since a pad could be used for a successor house.
- Total site pad permits issued per year will be limited to ten (10) per year, with a mandatory review of the program after two (2) years.
- Interior finish materials to meet certain flame spread limit standards and prohibitions on specified interior materials, e.g. certain types of cellular foam plastic materials.
- Minimum exit facilities providing unobstructed travel to the outside of the vehicle must be available.
- Smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, Carbon Monoxide detectors and Propane detectors are mandated based on applicable criteria.
Each proposed tiny home will be reviewed by the Building Official and Community Development Director for compliance with building and zoning standards, and the additional requirements specific to tiny homes, including fire, life safety, foundation, design, and utilities.
For more information regarding the Tiny Home Pilot Program, please contact the City of Ojai’s Community Development Department at (805) 646-5581 ext. 112.